Monday, 18 April 2016

Thunder Bay - Screenprint & Watercolor

This project which began as a calligraphy ink drawing, became a one, then two color print in a homemade silkscreen basement studio. Later upgraded to the University art studio as currently a 4 color print. With help from Aaron Veldstra the screen printing teacher on staff, teaching me the tricks and demanding I persevere through the technical difficulties. All the while using custom built tools and squeegees.
Each print is hand pulled and varies. After the printing process each landscape is hand water-colored, a time consuming and old technique used on prints and plates.
In this way no two prints will be alike, each is hand touched with sky tonalities as unique from each other as spectrum's in a given sunset.

I titled the work simply "Thunder Bay".
An overt way of making a statement to the viewer.



New prints will be available in the new year.

If you are further curious on the process and research behind this work, I have an earlier post from the beggining stage.
http://slantedfallingsunlight.blogspot.ca/2015/10/anemki-wikwed-screenprint.html

UPDATE: Was added to the Decolonial Atlas Blog!
 https://decolonialatlas.wordpress.com/2016/05/15/thunder-bay/

4 comments:

  1. Wow Keith these are simply amazing, great job, so glad you never gave up. lots of love auntie Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith,

    Hi Keith, this is David Greenwood. I'm stunned by your beautiful and important work. I'm a prof at LU who focuses on place-based education. I would love to talk to you! I really want to share this work with LU students and faculty, and also with my family and friends. Is it possible for us to connect? My email is greenwooddavida@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This print is beautiful! I'm from Thunder Bay. I live in North Carolina at the moment. I'd love to buy a print of this if I can. Could you let me know? kimberly.chiew -at- gmail . Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keith, I work in Special Collections at Toronto Reference Library. A friend sent me a link to your beautiful map on the Decolonial Atlas blog. The map librarian I work with is interested in purchasing one of your maps for our collection. You can email me with details at nmoskwa@torontopubliclibrary.ca. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete